Friday, December 28, 2007

Brag, Beat, Variance

Beat: First 32k hands at 50NL: -6 buy-ins
Brag: Last 4K hands at 50NL: +12 buy-ins.
Variance: Yes.

At 11:00 yesterday morning, I was down about $975. I am now down only 186 for the month (all not including the 500 rakeback). I've been on a sick, sick, run. Now if I can only avoid the big minuses I may be on to something.

Other than obviously getting some good cards, I attribute my run to FINALLY being able to fold overpairs and TPTK hands when warranted. One example I folded AA when 2 obvious draws hit and villain went AI on the turn. I folded and told myself I'd have another chance against this guy. Sure enough, I ended up stacking him later for a huge pot. There have been 2 times when I knew I should have folded, didn't, and was beaten but I have made correct folds the majority of the time. I really feel that at this level more often than not when someone gets uber-aggressive they will have an overpair or TPTK beat - i.e. they aren't making huge bluffs. Sure, some may be, but overall I think it is +EV to fold more often than not. I will continue to play this way and see if I can end up + for the month (I'm already ahead for the month thanks to rakeback, but I'm referring to actual poker results).

Wish me luck.

No comments: